Saturday, January 31, 2009

Blueberries First

I remember my mom would have special days where she would pick me up from school for a "doctor's appointment" and we would spend the whole day together playing hookie. This meant a lot considering she had 4 kids, a full-time job, and 50 real dr. appts. a year to take us to. You can certainly question whether or not this was good for me by the kind of person I turned out to be. I could talk myself out of going to any meeting, or social obligation, or even school until I married my "faithful-to-every-commitment-husband" and he wore off on me. I am so thankful that God took care of me in this respect. My career and motherhood would have been a real disaster. However, on days when I would get a surprise call to the office and it would be my mom with that look on her face- I felt so adored.

Annie is only 10-months old now. Every time she smiles at me with those big blue eyes (about 30x a day), I find myself feeling that same way my mom must have felt about me. I can't help but want to give her special treats. Even though she doesn't even know that it IS a special treat. The best thing I can come up with is giving her the blueberries or yogurt melts first thing for lunch. I usually mean to give her the greenbeans first. I can hear all of those parenting books ringing in my ears about ruining her good eating habits forever, but I just can't help myself. I am a new mom and it is all too exciting seeing her light up over the smallest things.

Must be how God feels about blessing his kids. I am learning a lot about how He feels about me through this new gig.


5 comments:

Matt and Sarah Pitts said...

Thanks for posting this, Sally. Too often I get wrapped up in "mommyhood" and don't stop to think through how God is teaching me about Himself through it. I appreciate you!!

Sarah

Beth said...

I am such a sap, maybe it is just the hormones - I teared up reading this.

Leah said...

sally, I loved this post! :) thanks for sharing. btw, I also love your background - didn't tell you that before.

Brian, Steph, Jada, Kiva, and Judson said...

Hi Sal!!! I found your blog and oh my goodness I love her!!! Yes, I want to get together soon...lets plan it. We are going to try to the party...

Candi said...

awe too sweet!

amen sistah!